A Gatsby Party


    It was a summer night in 1922. Turning onto a street in West Egg, I was dumbfounded by the magnitude of wealth and extravagance that the towering, lit-up mansion displayed. Through the course of my lifetime, I had never seen such grandeur and was shocked to be in the midst of it. I did not deserve to be there. After all, I was just another New-Yorker, working my debts off. However, I was allured to this scene from what I had heard.
It was definitely not what I expected. I had never pictured the reality to be this bizarre, wild, overpopulated, and over-the-top. The guests included a range of individuals who came from near and far. As I walked through the halls, I encountered so many unique characters, such as the wandering drunks, angry wives, and chatty gossipers. It seemed like the whole city of New York was on this property, having the time of their lives.
However, that clearly was not the case, seeing that only the rich came to party with Gatsby. Feeling out of place, I had nothing to do but observe them. They seemed to have no cares in the world with their perfect lives full of limitless money and constant satisfaction, but as I looked more carefully, I discovered that this was certainly not the case. Instead, it was the exact opposite. These social elites have more of a screwed-up life than I did. They consume themselves in illegal booze to run away from their problems, such as affairs and gambling. Weirdly enough, I was comforted by knowing this. Even as a nobody, I seemed to have an edge over these prestigious, selfish men. In a way, I was glad that I was being overlooked and out of this trouble.
After enough wandering and eavesdropping, I had still not met Gatsby himself. In the crowds of people, he was nowhere to be found. It’s quite queer to think that he would throw such a large party only to hide somewhere in an empty part of his mansion and not interact with all his guests. The whole point of a party is to have fun with the other guests, but what was his motive for this luxurious party? Was it simply to show off his wealth? I guess so. I can’t think of any other reason.
Anyways, I was getting bored and hadn’t met the mysterious millionaire I had wanted to. So, I left all of the extravagance behind and decided to never come back to this awful home filled with the corruption and lies.

Comments

  1. Wow this is amazing. I love how you adapted Fitzgerald's tone and took your on take on the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool! I like the twist you made in showing that being poor is not the worst thing that could happen to you. Money isn't everything; it's retaining one's humanity that makes a person good. You really made that clear.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment